Thursday, June 21, 2012

Launch your very own freelance writing career in 6 easy steps

Okay, that's a very SEO-y title, and I apologize for it. :) I recently reached out to another blogger who had announced she planned to try her hand at writing full-time. I wanted to give some quick and easy tips for getting freelance curriculum writing assignments, as well as some general thoughts I have about writing fiction. After typing up my e-mail to her, I realized it might be a good blog post. Here you go!

Freelance curriculum writing tips
1. One of the best places to look is craigslist. Visit the jobs section of the major cities and scan for freelance and curriculum writing work. I got some good gigs this way. Another option is simply to Google "freelance curriculum writer" and see what comes up. Sometimes the smaller educational publishers will put job listings right on their websites instead of listing them anywhere. Google different combinations of the phrase. "freelance item writer," "freelance ELA writer," "freelance writing jobs," "contract curriculum writer," etc.
2. If you have any aptitude for writing multiple choice questions, you'll do well. Sadly, test writers are in huge demand. This depresses me, of course, but it is a fact.
3. Rework your resume to reflect any writing you've done and be prepared to send samples of your work. Usually 2-3 pages is fine; only send if requested. The cover letter is the most important thing. I kept mine short since you'll always apply for jobs via email.
4. Try this blog: http://educationwriting.blogspot.com/
5. Don't work for less than $25/hour. There are a lot of people trying to scam writers and it's not cool.
6. Publish your own curriculum materials at http://www.currclick.com for the homeschool market or at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com. I think that you have to write a LOT of material to break through on these sites; I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Fiction writing
The traditional route.
1. You have to get an agent. This is a lot easier if you have a "high concept" pitch. For example, the YA writer Lauren Oliver broke through the noise by pitching something like: "it's Groundhog Day meets Mean Girls" when she wrote BEFORE I FALL. I got the attention of my agent with the pitch, "How about I turn the Facebook meme '25 Things About Me' into a novel?"
2. Good writing matters a lot, but the traditional publishers only offer nice advances to people who already have a fan base or to a book concept that is super fresh. THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern (sp?) is a good example of what was fresh last year. I have no idea what will be fresh next year.
3. A lot of people are saying traditional publishing is dead and ebooks are the wave of the future. I think both traditional publishing and self-publishing will do fine, but we're definitely in a time of flux. As William Goldman once said, "Nobody knows anything."

The self-pubbed route
You can upload your book(s) directly to Amazon via: http://kdp.amazon.com and to other websites via their own self-publishing platforms. I've done this and I like it. You have total control over your own work, you keep 70% of the cover price instead of 5% or 10%, and it's really fast. Promotion is hard, however. There is growing respect for self-pubbed authors and it's the route I'm taking with Planet Explorers. If you're curious about this, I'd recommend lurking on the Writers' Cafe at Kindleboards for a little while: http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/board,60.0.html

10 comments:

  1. It is really informative post for freelancers; I really like your work. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.

    Regards,

    Freelance Jobs in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight from an experienced writer. I am just starting to dip my toes into the travel guide writing market, and actually wound up here by following your bio from the Planet Explorers series. Great concept, btw! Mine are similar, but aimed at the parents. My plan is to start with with Kindle and see what happens. I'm off to check out the Kindleboards you recommend! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed you are a expert in your web site! I am just starting a website soon, plus your tips can be really ideal for me. Many thanks for all of your help and also wishing you all the actual being successful inside your company.
    furniture restoration

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candida, commonly known as Yeast is a type of Fungi, normally found in human body in small proportions. But the over growth

    of these yeasts will cause infection called as Candidacies. This infection normally affects the areas such as Skin, Throat,

    Blood, Mouth, and Genitals. To cure from this type of infection try Yeast Infection No More

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good article. I like it. I found new information.
    Great thank's author for that...

    http://www.paperwritings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s really very informative that I wanted ever, thanks for this.
    Recommended Site

    ReplyDelete
  7. The superb highly informative blog I’m about to share this with all my contacts.
    odesk vs elance review

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to stop by. But, I think it might have to wait until this summer. I did not know that Serlkay had ever expanded its size. I must say that a succesful family owned business in this day and age is a very refreshing sight! As well as this is a very refreshing site!
    British sme

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding blog, in my opinion site owners should acquire a great deal out of this blog its very user welcoming. bubblegum casting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fishing in Alaska does not differ much from fishing in other locations except that the state has so many remote locations to choose from, and that Alaska has some of the largest salmon and halibut in the world. During May and August, Best yacon Syrup

    ReplyDelete